Catherine Tadlock Explore a Database

Catherine Tadlock Explore a Database

by Catherine Tadlock -
Number of replies: 0

Primary Source Database: SageData

• Scope: What is the scope of the database (e.g. date range, types of sources, topic areas)?

I was looking at SageData as my primary source database. It was organized differently than a lot of the other databases I’ve worked with, since it sorted data by Subject, Source, and Geography. This database had a lot of statistical datasets available, especially those related to the social sciences and global development.

• Features: What specific search features does this database have (look at things like the advanced search, if it has a thesaurus, or look up any how-to documentation the database provides)

One feature that stood out to me from Sage was the Data Basics tab, which had a lot of useful advice for interpreting data. It included steps for finding, evaluating, and citing the information provided. There is also a tool that allows you to compare datasets. In the Browsing section, topics could be sorted alphabetically or geographically. 

• Use Cases: Based on your exploration, come up with some hypothetical use cases and example searches that you could imagine a student doing in this database.

I can see students using Sage for a wide range of subjects. In Econometrics and Statistics classes, students are often asked to compare multiple datasets in order to calculate causation and correlations. I could also see Environmental Studies students using this database as a way to measure development or progress on the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals.

Secondary Source Database: PAIS Index

• Scope: What is the scope of the database (e.g. date range, types of sources, topic areas)?

PAIS was an interesting database that included subjects related to global affairs. It also had a range of international sources. Topics were mostly related to the social sciences like political science, economics, and international relations. 

• Features: What specific search features does this database have (look at things like the advanced search, if it has a thesaurus, or look up any how-to documentation the database provides)

The PAIS Index had the option to select peer reviewed sources under the Basic Search. The Advanced Search was really interesting because there was room to add rows and narrow the search even more. It also lets the user specify desired source types, document types, anbd languages. In the Result Page Options section, searchers can also allow the database to include sources with variants of the original search terms. It reminded me of the techniques we learned last semester, except built into the system.

• Use Cases: Based on your exploration, come up with some hypothetical use cases and example searches that you could imagine a student doing in this database.

I think this would be a great source for coursework in the international sphere or upper level history or literature classes that are not conducted in English. For example, for students who need to find newspapers from other countries, I think this would be a versatile option.